Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Some Halloween Treats

Sunday, like I said, was the 7th annual pumpkin carve at Mike's parents. I usually make something to take over...last year I made pumpkin spice cupcakes with pumpkin icing. They were good but I thought I should try something new. I found this recipe in the Parents magazine I picked up at the doctors!

Iced Pumpkin Cookies
  Ingredients
  • 1/2  cup salted butter, softened
  • 1  cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1  teaspoon vanilla
  • 1  cup canned pumpkin
  • 2-1/4  cups all-purpose flour
  • 2  teaspoons baking powder
  • 1  teaspoon baking soda
  • 1  teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2  teaspoon salt
  • 1  cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2  cup chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Frosting:
  • 1/2  8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
  • 1  cup powdered sugar
  • 2  tablespoons salted butter, softened
  • 1  teaspoon vanilla
    Directions

    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl beat 1/2 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar and beat until fluffy. Beat in egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and pumpkin until combined.
    2. In a medium bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add to pumpkin mixture and beat until combined. Gently fold in the cranberries and walnuts.
    3. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake about 10 minutes or until edges start to brown. Remove and cool on wire racks.
    4. For frosting, in a small mixing bowl beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla until combined and smooth. Spread frosting over cookies.
    Here is how mine turned out:

      So, would I make them again!? Well, they were ok....I hardly tasted pumpkin at all. I don't know if it was the icing over powering the pumpkin taste but I couldn't taste it at all. They were pretty bland with sweet icing. If they didn't have icing they wouldn't taste very good, that's for sure! So i don't think I would make them again unless I altered the recipe!!!

    I also made the Rolo Pretzel Delights but instead of a pecan I used candy corn. They are always a hit!!! I still have canned pumpkin in the fridge so I need to make something else! Any suggestions?

    Ashley
    P.S - Today is my last day of work!!! This baby is coming soon!!! Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment